Saturday, April 5, 2008

Update #2- First check point update (from Heather)

I got an update from Mick about an hour ago. Andy is in really great spirits. As I was on the phone with Mick, a pick-up truck full of red-neck hotties (at midnight) were hootin' and hollerin' for Andy and cheering him on his journey. You see, my man has fans all over this great country ;-)

Ok, specifics...when Mick called, they had just passed the first check point. What this consists of is Mick or Geno calling a special "Heart of the South phone number" and telling the person on the other end who they are and who they are calling in for. Very fancy and high tech. :)

Andy has traveled 74 miles in the first portion. Since his official start time is 8:04 pm and they called in at 12:12 am...well I can't do that math, but our trusty friend Drew Hartman has a wonderful pace calculator on his web-site http://www.jetall3.com/PaceCalc.asp

...Andy has averaged 18.5 mph for the first 74 miles of his epic race.

I just can't get over this. I mean I was lying on the couch tonight, waiting for a phone call from Team Sweet, and I FELL ASLEEP! I can't even stay awake while watching a movie, let alone "be in good spirits" after riding 74 miles in the very dark and very wet deep south. Good thing Andy can't read this until he is done -- Whew.

Well, ta ta for now. I am off to try to sleep for a couple hours. Hope this has been helpful.

No comments: