Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Raven

In some Native American cultures, young men and women go on vision quests as a part of their rite of passage into adulthood. It is a turning point, or perhaps an enlightening. Those that embark on a vision quest go with the hopes on finding their 'true self' and their intended spiritual and life direction. Traditionally, a vision quest entails a journey alone in the woods and fasting for a number of days. Usually, after several days, a Guardian animal is said to come in a vision or dream, and the child's life direction will be made clear. The child may then return home and pursue his/her new direction.

Well, I'm not quite ready to head off in the woods for several days with no supplies, but I sure as heck see a lot of similarities between the reasons for these vision quests and the reasons why I race in endurance races. (See earlier blog post!) On some level, I think we are looking for something in these Ironmans and Ultramarathons. Some new definition of who we are, or even a new perspective on life maybe. Now, I know I'm not the first one to make this odd connection, there is even a big coaching group named Vision Quest, I just think it is neat to think of training and racing in different ways and wanted to share.

I did however find it super interesting that one of the key features of a vision quest was the visit by a guardian animal. It certainly made me decide that I want to have a guardian on some of my ventures, too! 

So, I did some more research.

Now, according to most Native American culture, you don't get to choose your guardian animal... it chooses you. I will be keeping an eye out for mine (hmm, that bobcat on my trail run was odd). However, I did learn from some of my good friends (Chris and Abby Tuma) that we all have animal totems according to Native American astrology... Similar to the whole zodiac breakdown (ie. Scorpio, Leo, etc). 

My totem is the Raven! 'The raven is intelligent, cleaver and mystical. Raven people are peace loving, idealistic and charming. They long for harmony in the community and must stay away from uncertainty and inconsistency' (Animal Totems). And apparently I play best with Otters and Deer. :-)
And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting 
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door; 
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming, 
And the lamplight o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor; 
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor 
Shall be lifted - nevermore!
Anyway, thats it for today... I'm gonna go play in the woods without any food to get ready for Ironman!



What's your sign? 

No comments: