Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Functional Art?

Functional Art, what the heck is that?

I found one definition that says it is the blending of form and function with sculpture and fine art. Well, I made up my own version: Functional art is cool looking stuff that you can actually use.

What brings me to functional art? Well, I have come to realize that I am surrounded by it everyday at work. I work in a gallery in downtown Chattanooga that displays both custom titanium bikes (Ruby Cycleworks) and custom concrete countertops (Set in Stone). I know, strange combonation, right? That is unless you look at it from the perspective of functional art... both are clearly 'cool looking stuff that you can actually use.'


For instance, we know bikes are functional. They are transportation, workout equipment, and entertainment all at the same time. But do they qualify as fine art? You tell me...

The raw titanium contrasted by the red/white decals, great geometric shapes and angles... seems like the qualities of sculpture and art to me.

And countertops? Again the functionality is a given, but art... maybe not granite or laminate... but take a gander at the possibilities with concrete! This is a double vanity that I think certainly fits in the fine art category.

Anyway, perhaps I'm trying to make an association to make myself feel better about our strange collaboration in this space... but I think it works!

And in this era, I think we are seeing more and more focus on function... and less on art and beauty. But, via functional art, perhaps we can have both!




No comments: